Heintzman & co.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

violetball

Heintzman & co.

Post by violetball »

Hello. I have a Heintzman & Co piano that says 'from Willis & Co limited Montreal' underneath the name in the front. The serial number is 11658 I believe. Can anyone tell me what the 'from Willis & Co Limited' means?

Oh and I forgot to mention that it is a two pedal piano and from what I've read, all original heintzmans have three pedals. The piano does bring the original insignia of heinzman & co on the inside though.

Can anyone explain this to me please?
And the date? Can anyone tell me?

Thanks so much!
pianotech

From - Willis & Company

Post by pianotech »

Willis & Company was a piano company in the Montreal area. They were also a major piano retailer before they began manufacturing their own brand. The decal that says from Willis & Co. indicates that it was sold through one of Wllis & Company's retail outlets.

there is more info here at http://www.pianotech.ca/willis-pianos.htm
violetball

Post by violetball »

I see, thanks so much for that. So it is an original heinztman?

What about the two pedals? Is it possible that my piano was built before they started adding the sostuneto pedal?
pianotech

Post by pianotech »

I'm not sure where you heard that Heintzman pianos always had three pedals. I saw a Heintzman piano this morning that had two pedals. If your piano is a Heintzman it will say so on the inside of the piano. It will be in raised lettering on the Iron plate. Probably on the right hand side or possibly under the bass strings on the left.

Upright pianos from the late 1800's often had two pedals. Three pedals became the norm in the early 1900 but by the 1960's many piano makers started using a two pedal design again.
violetball

Post by violetball »

That's great! Thanks so much! :D
Bill Kibby

Pedals

Post by Bill Kibby »

Interesting to hear about the pedals situation in Canada, although it is not true of pianos made this side of the ocean, where the majority only have 2 pedals anyway. Also, one cannot assume that the third (middle) pedal is a sostenuto, it may have one of several fuinctions.
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 03 Apr 2008, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
RagtimeMax

Post by RagtimeMax »

According to the Pierce Piano Atlas, your piano is from around 1896. I may be wrong.
Max Keenlyside
(Ragtime pianist,composer, and arranger, and co-founder of the Authentic Ragtime Company.)
Bill Kibby

Heintzmann

Post by Bill Kibby »

More like Pierce may be wrong! Have a look at my Numbers page at www.PianoGen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info