Behning upright piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

squarepants_82

Behning upright piano

Post by squarepants_82 »

Hi. I just got that nice and old Behning Piano and was wondering how old it actually is. I believe the serial number is 29546. It's got to be at least from 1936, because there is something written on the inside with a pen dated that year. Thanks a lot for your help.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Is that Behning & Son or Behning Piano Co.? If the former the serial number would put it about 1897-98. Does it really look that old? If the latter, it may have been made in the 1930's.
I have run into quite a few really old Behning & Son pianos which have been quite decent given their age. The cetainly have been solidly built. The later pianos of the name are not so impressive.

Tom Tuner
squarepants_82

Post by squarepants_82 »

sorry for answering so late...
On the board that covers the keys it says Behning, New York, Upright grad and where I found the serial number it says Behning & Son. The piano is in a really good shape, I couldn't believe that it's that old, even if it would be form the 1930's. Only 4 keys are a little chiped. and the wood is a little bit beat up cause the former owners had kids and they used to use it as a toy.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!!
Bill Kibby

Behning

Post by Bill Kibby »

The number suggests 1899.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info