Vose & Sons Cabinet Grand Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

cmebner

Post by cmebner »

I have just inherited my grandmother's piano, and am curious the age of it. Part of the serial numbers are missing, but it begins with 2 and ends in 37. Is there any way of knowing the approximate age of it without the entire number? It is beautiful, and I am interested in finding as much history as possible! :)
cmebner

Post by cmebner »

This may or may not make a difference, but as I was trying to clean this piano up a bit, I did find a number of the panels marked with the three digit number that is used to keep all pieces together during the build. These numbers are 837. Where the original serial number is, it is inset, and shows the beginning number 2, then it is missing numbers and ends with 37. I have searched the rest of the piano, and cannot find a complete number visible. Any ideas where I might look or if those numbers are enough to guess-timate an age of this piano?
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

If it says, "Cabinet Grand" you can be sure it was made before 1910 and probably not much after 1900. If it has a 5 digit serial number begining with 2, then it would be from about 1890. An experienced technician can often date a piano within 5 or 10 years from the case style.

Tom Tuner
cmebner

Post by cmebner »

Thank you! My family will be thrilled to hear that! My father told me today that his mother bought it many years ago at an auction for very little money.

As I open it to expose the keyboard, it opens to print that reads:

Vose & Sons
Boston.
Cabinet Grand.

It did have 5 digits in the serial number, tho as I said, the majority of a couple of them are missing.

The intricate carvings on the legs are beautiful, and it has what looks like etching carved into the three panels on the upper part of the body.

Thanks for your information! It is most appreciated!
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

That sounds typical of a piano case from about the turn of the previous century. The "carved" panels in the upper front panel are most likely either pressed from metal dies, or if in fairly high relief may be an applique.

Tom Tuner
cmebner

Post by cmebner »

Thanks for your help! I look forward to having it for many years!