William Matthews (Nottingham), Propeller Piano Forte

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Yessey

William Matthews (Nottingham), Propeller Piano Forte

Post by Yessey »

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with information on my great-great-great-great grandfather. He was William Matthews, born in Nottingham around 1800. He lived at 5 St. James St. Nottingham, which was also the location of his 'Piano Forte & Sacred Music Warehouse'. I have read that he invented something called "The Propeller Piano Forte". I have searched online and found no reference to this Propeller thingy.
He apparently was also employed as piano tuner for many Dukes and Earls across the midlands. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything of William Matthews or the Propeller Piano Forte.

Lesley
Bill Kibby

Matthews

Post by Bill Kibby »

I was a bit confused there, having just dealt with an enquiry about piano firms making airplane propellors. Exactly what is the wording of the information you have found? And is the spelling as you show it? Propeller rather than Propellor?
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 30 Sep 2007, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Yessey

Post by Yessey »

It is written as Propeller, with an 'e'. Strange, I know. I'm pretty sure it's not a flying piano though!! There is an entry on this site under Inventions and Patents. It reads....

March 7, 1853. W, MATTHEWS. "Propeller Action," to prevent 11 blocking " in damp situations.

On www.historicaldirectories.org I found an ad he had placed in the Wright's Nottingham Directory 1858. The ad is one and a half pages and has a picture of a piano. It also states that "The Propeller" was manufactured by J. Brinsmead, 15 Charlotte St., Fitzroy Square, London.

Lesley
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Bill - could the 'propellor' action be the Brinsmead upright action with the block and loop rather than jack spring action? Did actions have patent names? I can only think of Simplex.
Bill Kibby

Propeller

Post by Bill Kibby »

This seems too early for those types.
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 18 Aug 2007, 10:29, edited 2 times in total.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Possibly along the lines of what would be called in Germany a Stosszungenmechanik, a "pushing action".

Tom Tuner
Bill Kibby

Propeller

Post by Bill Kibby »

There are so many upright action types (with or without names) that there is no particular reason to suspect any one, but I suppose it could be about propelling the hammers towards the strings. Textbooks tend to ignore most types of upright actions, I try to redress the balance by collecting diagrams of upright types, and classifying them. Some had names, which often were unrelated to what they did or how they worked. "The Victoria Roller Repetition Action" for example, had no sign of a roller of any kind. "Blocking" means that the hammer gets stuck against the strings, and prevents them sounding properly. Evidently, the "Propeller" was supposed to overcome this. Our Official Catalogue of the Great Exhibition (1851) lists "W. Mathews, 5, St. James Street Nottingham - Inventor & Manufacturer. Model, exhibiting the string frame of an upright pianoforte with lever tuning apparatus; the object being to sustain the pressure of the strings, and prevent the instrument getting out of tune." The catalogue also mentions "An upright pianoforte, in which an apparatus is introduced to keep the instrument in its upright position. It is also simple in action, and contains an apparatus whereby various degrees in quality of tone may be produced". [No illustrations.] It seems odd that Brinsmead made it if Matthews invented it.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.