Schumann Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Flaxman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Schumann Piano

Post by Flaxman »

Anybody have any idea about the quality of Schumann pianos? I couldn't even find the name on the piano ratings site. I tuned one today with lots of false beats and even though it doesn't look that old, I would guess that it is maybe eastern European (east Germany?) but any help would be welcomed. Flaxman
A Canucker stuck in Dublin
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sort of remember tuning one many moons ago was your bog standard Teak 70’s piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Flaxman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Flaxman »

Hey Barrie,

Yes, the colour was teak and glossy, much like the more modern Eastern European types. May be a later model than 70's. Probably late 80's or early 90's. Nice condition but characteristic of these pianos with the false beats in the treble and screaming overtones.

One of my students wants me to check out a Geyer which she says the seller said is from East Germany and they're looking to me for a price. I have no clue about those either. Have searched almost everywhere to get a value on them, but no answers.

Flaxman
A Canucker stuck in Dublin
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Schumann Pianos

Post by A440 »

Hello!
Schumann pianos have now resurfaced again (as of 2006) and are made in the brand new Moutrie factory in Nanjing. They use Renner hammers and german strings. I have tried one and was very impressed with the overall quality. It felt and sounded much more like a European rather than a Chinese piano.
tuna
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

schumann

Post by tuna »

Mr Flaxman, Tynan Pianos in Rathmines, Dublin 6 have been selling schumann uprights for the last few years. As far as I know, these pianos are from China and are reasonable for Chinese pianos.
bargor

Schumann Pianos

Post by bargor »

Hello, I was in the market for an inexpensive, new upright and have been looking into Yamahas and Schumann.
I had read a bit about the build quality on these pages and in Pianist Magazine of the Schumann pianos. I played one the other day and just could not believe the value for money. I am buying for my son's flat where space is limited. The quality of sound is very good and far exceeds the Yamaha B series which I found rather dull (like a soundboard made of cardboard my son said!)
After much um-ing and ah-ing we went for the Schumann and it has just been delivered. We are both delighted with the new piano and would reccomend most highly. A great little piano, well prepared and very responsive. I still enjoy my grand at home but am so glad I got the right piano for my son and his family.
Jody M

Post by Jody M »

The Schumann 122 seems to find some favour with none other than Barrie Heaton on certain other threads as a worthy alternative to a Yamaha b1. What, though, of a Schumann 120? Does anyone have experience of this piano?
aurora4dth

Post by aurora4dth »

While were on the topics of Schumann pianos Has anyone ever heard of an model r6? I recently got one and i know its very old but I dont know much about it. I had it tuned and worked on and it sounds pretty good. I am just wondering alittle more about the history and value of it.
bargor

schumann pianos

Post by bargor »

Jody M wrote:The Schumann 122 seems to find some favour with none other than Barrie Heaton on certain other threads as a worthy alternative to a Yamaha b1. What, though, of a Schumann 120? Does anyone have experience of this piano?
I bought the 112 which was compact enough for my son's flat. We tried the larger Schumann pianos (120) in the shop and would really have prefered one as they had a more impressive bass and greater tonal depth but space was an issue so we went with the 112.
I think the German parts make all the difference to the overall playability. Also, I am not a fan of plastic action parts which are common in so many pianos these days.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

the *Schumann / Moutrie 112 is not a good buy as the B1 manly on grounds that the B1 would keep its value better but the 122 which is the same size as the U1 and the same price as the B1 is a better buy is has a fuller sound bigger keys so better control

The Moutrie Grands are now available with PianoDisk

Barrie,

* Schumann and Moutrie are the same piano different names
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page