1810 (?) piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

lundborg

1810 (?) piano

Post by lundborg »

Hej, I need to know more about this old piano. It has been in the
family for about 100 years (possibly more), located in Sweden. I have been told it is from 1810. It has a wooden frame. 73 key keyboard. Two strings per key (where modern pianos have three). The brown cloth on
the front was replaced a couple of decades ago - it is different from the original. It has not been tuned for at least 50 years, but the action is
mostly intact. We are moving, so I need some advice on what to do with
it. My wife thinks it is just using valuable space...

/Tomas

Bill Kibby

Cabinet piano

Post by Bill Kibby »

It could be around that date, what a shame there doesn't seem to be a maker's name. Have a look at the Datemarks link at www.pianogen.org and also the Valuation link. We wouldn't mind having it take up our space!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

It is a 'cabinet piano' which might date from as early as 1816, but more likely from 1830-50's. The original silk cloth was probably not brown, usually old rose or a medium green color. You might find traces of the original still stuck to the inside. Otherwise it certainly appears to be in excellent condition. The gallery on top looks a bit like a later addition, but the grain in the veneer is clearly the same as the rest of the case.
Just guessing, but it appears most likely to be English. The grandfather of Edvard Greig was a Scot who emigrated to Norway and imported English pianos to sell in Scandanavia

Tom Tuner