Grand Piano Celeste Mechanism

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

nigel5568

Grand Piano Celeste Mechanism

Post by nigel5568 »

:) Hi this is my first EVER post! I'm a professional Tuner and have a customer who swears that a friend of hers had a celeste rail mechanism fitted to her 5' grand! -And of course she wants one fitted to hers! Can anyone support this anecdotal fantasy ? And if so I would be extremely grateful for any tech. tips, measurements, positioning, materials used and any other practical suggestions.(apart from Buy An Upright or Change Your Tuner!)

Hopefully
Nigel[/b]
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi Nigel

Welcome to the forum

Yes I have seen them on Stineways leaver operated.

Don't think you can retro fit one as the kits are for uprights - but you can retro fit a silent system to a grand but it is hard work

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Grand Piano Celeste Mechanism

Post by PianoGuy »

nigel5568 wrote::) Hi this is my first EVER post! I'm a professional Tuner and have a customer who swears that a friend of hers had a celeste rail mechanism fitted to her 5' grand! -And of course she wants one fitted to hers! Can anyone support this anecdotal fantasy ? [/b]
A few imported Yamaha G-series grands also have a celeste fitted, operated by a pull-stop under the keyboard.

They are not available as a retro fit, since the unit is fitted to drilled holes in the frame and cabinet.
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

I used to have some info on installing "mandolin rails" ( which I take to be the same as your celeste rail). Let me see what I can find.

Tom Tuner
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

I see that your 'celeste' rail would be a 'muffler' rail rather than a 'mandolin' or 'honky-tonk'. I'm still looking for the set of articles on making and intalling these.

Tom Tuner
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Tom Tuner wrote:I see that your 'celeste' rail would be a 'muffler' rail rather than a 'mandolin' or 'honky-tonk'. I'm still looking for the set of articles on making and intalling these.

Tom Tuner
they are very easy to fit on an upright
http://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/catalo ... /828k.html

to be honest I can't remember seeing any instructions in the box on the last one I fitted they are so simple

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page