Kemble Conservatoire

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Kemble Conservatoire

Post by Openwood »

I tried a Kemble Conservatoire on Friday. I can't say I've been struck with older Kembles but after all the publicity they've received I really wanted to like this one, I honestly did; Made in Britain, fly the flag and all that.

The problem is that to my admittedly subjective ear they all sound like the practice pedal has been left on (I actually checked inside the case on Friday just to be sure). Am I the only person on the planet who thinks they sound muffled?

I'm quite prepared to admit that it could just be my Philistine preferences at work here and that they are perfectly good pianos.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Tsk! You're supposed to think they sound 'European' !

Until recently they've been voiced hard as nails. You must have tried a brand new one.

They're meant to sound as un-Yamaha as possible whilst being 100% based on them for reasons of reliability and streamlining of manufacture. (British-built Yamahas are made alongside them, remember, and are near as dammit identical!)

Personally I rather like the fact that at long last they sound different.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Well, there's a lot to be said for making uprights that sound 'un-Yamaha' although in my experience their nasty 'neon-brightness' is a thing of the past anyway.

My beef with the Kemble was that there wasn't enough character in its tone to either like or dislike. It was like playing John Major.

As for 'European' maybe they had Belgium in mind....
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote:
My beef with the Kemble was that there wasn't enough character in its tone to either like or dislike. It was like playing John Major.

As for 'European' maybe they had Belgium in mind....
Harsh.

On both counts!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I had a listen to the CD of the recital because I thought maybe it was just my perception at the time.

It does sound pleasantly mellow in the softer passages - definitely rounder than a Yamaha but for me it fails to deliver at the louder end of the dynamic range. There didn't seem to be much more to get out of the instrument once it got past mf.

Like I said before, it's completely subjective and I'm bound to prefer a piano which conforms to my personal tastes. It's great to think that there is a serious alternative to Yamaha, but for me this isn't it.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

kemble conservatoire

Post by A440 »

Yes, it does all seem a bit harsh and yes, it's all subjective. However, was this particular piano perhaps toned by the shop rather than in the factory?
They are really remarkable value and personally I find the dynamics very impressive. There are lots of pianos of this size with a great bass but it often overpowers the treble. I have found factory-toned Kembles very well balanced. The 121 is also a superb instrument.
I think Kemble have reacted to popular demand, and perhaps we should appreciate this great british maker, producing pianos at a quarter the price of German equivalents.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I do accept that my dislike of this piano puts me firmly in the minority (possibly even a minority of one). Anyway, seeing as how God or whoever it is up there who spends their time devising ever more elaborate ways to piss me off has fixed things so that I have to play it every week I've decided to make a real effort to learn to love it.

As you say, all power to their elbows for making a product that's competing seriously well with Johnny Foreigner.

Judging by Kemble's success to date it's pretty clear that they can get by just fine without my approval.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Openwood wrote: As you say, all power to their elbows for making a product that's competing seriously well with Johnny Foreigner.
Kemble is largely owned by Johnny Foreigner.
Openwood wrote:Judging by Kemble's success to date it's pretty clear that they can get by just fine without my approval.
Long may it continue. Build quality at Milton Keynes is getting better all the time.
A440
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

kemble conservatoire

Post by A440 »

Yes, I've noticed over the last few years (since the Chinese import boom) that Kemble are actually producing great pianos for the money. The thing about Kemble is they are accountable. If you don't like the piano, they will do something about it. I have not found this to be the case with any other maker. They also deliver on time (unlike Yamaha!!!!!?). and don't make any promises they cannot keep.
They are, dare I say it, a great family firm!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Yeah, the accountability thing is a good point. Played another new Kemble today and still can't see what the fuss is about. Sounds so plasticky. Still, I didn't hate it so I suppose that's progress.