material

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

material

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

Hi.

I have a problem on two keys. On one the bit of material that pulls the hammer back has come off the pin. On the other it has also ripped through from the hole. Is there any way I could sort this out myself, or should I get a tuner to take a look? Can the tear be repaired? I only just had my piano tuned, so I'd rather sort if myself if that might be feasible. How the hell do you get the pin through that hole? Is there an easy trick for this, or should I just leave it well alone?

Thanks,

Andrew
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's a bridle tape; you can get the tuner to do it next time, but in the meanwhile you can effect a lash-up with a bit of elastoplast to replace the little bit of leather that's dropped to bits, and making a hole for the bridle wire with a gimlet or somesuch. The wire is an open loop; if you look carefully you'll see it's actually quite straightforward to thread the tape end in from the right, loop it over to the left over the top of the wire and then down so the pointy bit of wire goes through your carefully created hole...it's harder to describe than it is to do! :)
Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

Gill the Piano wrote:It's a bridle tape; you can get the tuner to do it next time, but in the meanwhile you can effect a lash-up with a bit of elastoplast to replace the little bit of leather that's dropped to bits, and making a hole for the bridle wire with a gimlet or somesuch. The wire is an open loop; if you look carefully you'll see it's actually quite straightforward to thread the tape end in from the right, loop it over to the left over the top of the wire and then down so the pointy bit of wire goes through your carefully created hole...it's harder to describe than it is to do! :)
Have I been making this far more difficult than necessary? It's on the bottom A that it came off and I was trying to poke around inside and connect it. Presumably I should remove both the hammer and other 'bit' (I don't know the proper terms) for that note and connect them up before screwing both back in? That would indeed be rather easy, compared to what I've been attempting (assuming it's possible to put them in together like that, because I haven't checked this yet).

Andrew