Cleaning a piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Cleaning a piano

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean an old piano properly? I have an old Bluthner that is remarkably dirty inside. It looks like a complete wreck, but surprisingly it's in fantastic shape in terms of the sound and action. Anyway, does anyone have any tips on the best way to get inside and clean it properly? The hammers are totally caked in grime (and even what looks like dry, flaky mould) and after reading one of the articles on 2nd hand pianos, I'm starting to think that there is probably a serious health issue. No doubt it's coming off bit by bit and going into the air while I'm playing.

Andrew
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would call in your tuner to take the action away to blow it out and clean under the key bed - if it is black it will be coal dust

Other than that, a vacuum cleaner fitted with a soft brush and gently go over the parts

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

A 2 cm. paintbrush will be more useful than the brush attachment. Used with the crevice tool you will dislodge more dirt. A soundboard steel used to push a damp cloth under the strings is about the only practical method of cleaning the soundboard. Dilute aqua-ammonia solution will lift quite a lot of grime from the plate. Compressed air is the most effective method of cleaning out the action and key-frame, but not really an option for an owner. You really should have a professional for that as removing and replacing the action is attended with some risks.

Tom Tuner
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

For cleaning the soundboard, you can get a thing called a 'flatmate' from John Lewis or Lakeland. It's like a long felt lollipop, and the felt is sort of fringed. It's flexible, and you can get it under/between the strings if tyou use the breaks in the string sections to get at it. You can use them slightly dampened to pick up more cr*p from the soundboard. I'm sure a grown-up would be able to post a link to 'Flatmates' but I'm not capable...sorry!
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

See? I KNEW there'd be a capable grown-up out there somewhere! :D
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

The Flatmate would appear to be a big improvement on the soundboard steel and rag had it a longer handle, except perhaps for mopping up coal soot, which would probably ruin it. Is there a US/Canadian distributor?
Incidently, when washing the soundboard pull the hinge pins and remove the lid. This will greatly improve access. Evev if the straight side is right agains a wall it will save your back a lot of awkward bending. It may not be worth the trouble for dusting.

Tom Tuner