Any risk to buying new pianos online?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tripod
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Any risk to buying new pianos online?

Post by tripod »

Hi,

I have read a number of posts suggesting that you should always play a piano first before buying but I have a question:

Are there really any risks if the piano you are interested in is a brand new Yamaha U3-Silent from a large dealer? If that dealer sold the most Yamaha pianos in the UK within a year (if that is to be believed) can they not be trusted?

Surely Yamaha is a big enough brand to be reliable? Is there that much variation between the quality of the sound?

If not covered above, what are you looking to insure against by going and playing before you buy? E.g. getting the serial number etc... does this still apply to new pianos?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Regards,

Paul (tripod)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Buying a new piano online is fine, quite a lot of folk buy new with out seeing the piano and not just the B1s I have prepped S6 which have been bought over the net

As to playing the piano before you buy - this is always a good idea as you can line up 10 U3 pianos and have 10 slightly different pianos. However, not all would appreciate the difference. But if the U3 Silent is what you want then you will have no problems buying over the net and there are some good sales deals out there at the moment

You are covered with Yamahas 5 and 2 year Garr if you do go and play the piano yes do make a note of the serial number as I have said above there are variations in tone so if you have took the time to seek out the piano of your dreams make sure you get that one in your house.

As to any clams to we do this, that or the other. All advertisements in the UK are covered by advertising standards' even the ones on their web site, so if the say it, they must do it or you can report them to advertising standards' and they do prosecute.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
tripod
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by tripod »

That's great Barry, just what I wanted to hear. I do understand what you mean about the tone and could see that as the only reason to try before I buy.

Nice to have my thoughts confirmed.

Regards,

Paul
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Read a few earlier threads:
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/piano3340.html
and
http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... php?t=3182
are a good start.

If you have no expectations from your piano, go ahead and buy online. I'm sure it will work.

Bear in mind who will carry out the warranty work if a problem arises. Will it be a good local dealer who has made enough in the deal to cover the warranty cost or will it be an online seller who is making next to nothing on each piano? ( a b1 sold at the usual stupid internet price makes the dealer about ?150 ) A Yamaha piano will of course be covered by a Yamaha warranty, but it would be very cheeky to call your local dealer to sort out a problem on a piano bought online..... And this is exactly what Yamaha will tell you to do as a first port of call. Most dealers don't take kindly to it. Yamaha will only get involved if a dealer can't fix it. Yamaha's own service is often sadly lacking and can smack of arrogance, they often take the line that "We don't make faulty pianos". Generally, warranty claims are sorted to the customer's satisfaction, but remember that the supplying dealer should really smooth these processes through; not always possible if he's miles away.

The quality of Yamaha's products is, however very good indeed, and they are consistent enough for them to get away with selling via dealers who make little profit. Quality has perceptibly slipped lately though, the excellence that was is diminishing, and their lack of control over how their products are sold will be their downfall.

Internet purchases are for the undiscerning.
tripod
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by tripod »

I see what you are saying. Do these companies (offering the discounts) usually allow you to try and then purchase at the same price while quoting the serial number that you have tried?

It seems that for the possible £300 outlay that you may have to pay having a piano voiced, it is worth going for the massive discount.

Can you recommend a dealer for a new U3 Silent and I will compare the savings?

Regards and thanks for your reply.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I knew someone who got themselves in the 'very cheeky' situation described above by Pianoguy. The local dealer made his displeasure abundantly clear and I guess my friend got what was coming to him. I would point out however that the dealer's attitude to those who bought pianos online probably lost him sales because he was perceived locally as being uncooperative.

If the dealer had built up a rapport with my friend instead of harranging him it might have been to the benefit of all concerned.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That depend there are rules set by the EEC
1. It has to be a main dealer (they have to stock at lest 3 grand’s to be a main dealer Yamaha Rules)
2. the person who bought the piano must have not contacted the seller first about the problem and must have gone to the manufacture for a list of main dealers (ya right)
3. The dealer can set it at a low priority or refer it back to the manufacturer if they feel they can’t handle the problem

So if you are a small shop with just a few Yamaha pianos they will be niggled as they don’t have to provide back up cover for pianos sold by other shops. The big discounters tend to use a network of Tuners who they trust anyway

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

tripod wrote:I see what you are saying. Do these companies (offering the discounts) usually allow you to try and then purchase at the same price while quoting the serial number that you have tried?
Some do, some don't. Some get mightily peeeed off if you insist on the one that you've tried. Read through this thread. The last post is somewhat relevant, but do take the time to read through it! The U3 silent is an excellent piano. It's worth paying a tad more than the on-line or pile 'em high dealer to get a perfect example.
tripod wrote:It seems that for the possible £300 outlay that you may have to pay having a piano voiced, it is worth going for the massive discount.
As I said, the last post is relevant!!

Kind regards, and Happy New Year!

PG
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

tripod wrote:I see what you are saying. Do these companies (offering the discounts) usually allow you to try and then purchase at the same price while quoting the serial number that you have tried?
Some do state on there website that the show room price are different to the web price so in their case no. Others do encourage you to try before you buy and the discounted price is there on the shop floor. Some will give you a price between if you push.

Your main problem is do they have them in stock to try, not all stock the U3 Silent and some of them don’t have a U3 on display

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page