Nicotine removal and key cleaning

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Nicotine removal and key cleaning

Post by jackg »

I bought a 1924 Grot(ty)rian Steinweg upright which was absolutley fithly when I bought it. I cleaned off the dark yellow stain from the case as much as I could, nicotine I assume, but on the key cover it seems to have formed into a hardened surface finish, like an old polish which is breaking up, there in places and absent elsewhere. The only way I have removed some is by using the flat of a stanley blade very carefully to scrape the muck off in dust form.
What solvents are best to use on the nicotine without damaging the French Polish?
The ivory keys have yellowed as well, maybe it was owned by a relative of Castro who had free gifts of Cuban cigars sent over frequently?
On the keys I tried 0000 steel wool which has removed some of the stain but not all, and it takes the shine off the keys, this is not a good idea according to my tuner.

He also tells me that there are firms that clean the keys and will buff them as well, can anyone tell me a good one. I am between Bristol and Gloucester. I presume that I remove the keys and the firm cleans them on their premises. There is a very small chip on one of them, I assume they can rectify that as well?

I read the article about cleaning keys with chemicals and a strip light but this seems a bit involved to do in a house.

Anyone tell me what glue is used to hold the key caps in place? Fish glue?

Does nicotine harm the hammers by atmospheric ingress?

The piano has a wonderful tone and a soundboard to die for.
Last edited by jackg on 18 Dec 2006, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nocotine removal and key cleaning

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jackg wrote:I
The ivory keys have yellowed as well, maybe it was owned by a relative of Castro who had free gifts of Cuban cigars sent over frequently?
On the keys I tried 0000 steel wool which has removed some of the stain but not all, and it takes the shine off the keys, this is not a good idea according to my tuner.

He also tells me that there are firms that clean the keys and will buff them as well, can anyone tell me a good one. I am between Bristol and Gloucester. I presume that I remove the keys and the firm cleans them on their premises. There is a very small chip on one of them, I assume they can rectify that as well?

I read the article about cleaning keys with chemicals and a strip light but this seems a bit involved to do in a house.

Anyone tell me what glue is used to hold the key caps in place? Fish glue?

Does nicotine harm the hammers by atmospheric ingress?

The piano has a wonderful tone and a soundboard to die for.
Animal glue with Titanium Oxide added

The only way to get the Yellow out is by bleaching and the HP you need to use is 60 to 90 VOL and as you pointed out not for home use

Most tuners would rather change them for plastic you can try

Cheltenham Piano Centre
52 Winchcombe Street
Gloucestershire GL52 2HP
Tel: 01242 517635
Fax: 01242 250794
Web: www.cheltenham-piano-centre.co.uk

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Nyiregyhazi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Nyiregyhazi »

The only way to get the Yellow out is by bleaching and the HP you need to use is 60 to 90 VOL and as you pointed out not for home use

I heard that ivory naturally yellows and that if you take out the action and leave it in direct sunlight (in the summer) this can fix it. Is this true? I don't think nicotine is the cause.

Do you have any tips for cleaning the inside of an old, grimy piano?

Andrew
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

Thanks Barrie.

I cleaned this piano with a vacuum cleaner on the inside firstly then a cloth and water. I took all the keys out and cleaned under them, I also took the gauze rear off and cleaned the back out of all the black dirt. The outer case with a dishcloth and water.
It takes time but worthwhile as the dirt has an impact on the sound, fewer loose particles to vibrate with the sound board.

A clean down for the case is 50-50 linseed oil and white spirit, cleans and oils at the same time on French Polish at least.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nyiregyhazi wrote:T

I heard that ivory naturally yellows and that if you take out the action and leave it in direct sunlight (in the summer) this can fix it. Is this true? I don't think nicotine is the cause.

Do you have any tips for cleaning the inside of an old, grimy piano?
Yes the natural colour is Yellow and having the fall closed all the time make them go Yellow but nicotine make it much worse.

Putting them outside will do it but in the UK you will have to wait a bit, now if you lived in California it may do in a week or so Hydrogen Peroxide speeds up the process

As to cleaning just be careful and don’t vac up the felts washers

Please, Please don’t do what one of my clients did He soaked the keys in the Bath with bleach to clean them :sad:

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jackg wrote:Thanks Barrie.

A clean down for the case is 50-50 linseed oil and white spirit, cleans and oils at the same time on French Polish at least.
vinegar gets a lot of grime out then feed the polish

Barrei,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page