Bechstein Model Va

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

doctorbaz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Bechstein Model Va

Post by doctorbaz »

Hi there, I've recently purchased a gorgeous 6ft 7 Bechstein Grand, model Va, dated to 1904 approx. I'm struggling to find anything about this particular model of piano. The relatively commonly seen Model V seems to be an earlier incarnation of Bechstein's 6ft 7 grand, and has the "fish tail" with fanning of the strings at the bass bridge. By contrast my Va looks identical to the Model B, Bechstein's "modern" 6ft 7 grand, with a rounded tail. I have seen Bs dating from 1900 or so, 4 years or more older than my Va. I had wondered if the Va was a "transitional" design, but this suggests that the Va and the B may have been produced in parallel for a few years perhaps? Does anyone know in what way - if any - the Va differs from the B? Is the Va a fairly rare instrument - could only find one reference to it via a Google search? Many thanks for your assistance,

doctorbaz
Bill Kibby

Bechstein models

Post by Bill Kibby »

It is unwise to take the internet as representing the whole picture on any given subject. I'll see what I can find out, but these would almost certainly be mass-produced models, not rare unless they have special artwork.
Last edited by Bill Kibby on 19 Nov 2006, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
doctorbaz
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by doctorbaz »

Many thanks! Grateful for anything you can find out.

Regards,

doctorbaz
Bill Kibby

Bechstein

Post by Bill Kibby »

I don't know if this sheds any light on your questions: In 1899, Bechstein introduced the Model A - a 6'8" grand, with 85 notes, based on the Model 5. My old friend and piano enthusiast Rod Watt has both models from 1899, and it is interesting to make direct comparisons: The shape of the Model 5, with its "fishtail", has been streamlined to a "double serpentine curve", but since this results in a slight loss of soundboard area, the keyboard section of the case has been made 2" larger to compensate, making the appearance heavier and bulkier by comparison with the more delicate Model 5. The nameplate on the treble section of the wrestplank area is also simplified, just "C. Bechstein, Berlin" with no reference to koenigs and kaisers etc.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info