New B1 or second hand C110A

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

gt550man

New B1 or second hand C110A

Post by gt550man »

I'm looking to buy a piano for my son whose 9 and has started Lessons.
My buget is quite tight and I was going to go for a new Yamaha B1, our closest dealer is actually one of the discounters. However there is also a nearly new C110A advertised localy with stool which I may be able to get cheaper.
I understand from the Web the B1 is actually a better piano than the C110A but no one seems to say why.
My question is why is the B1 better and how much less than a new B1 would a second hand C110A be worth, assuming its in A1 condition.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The b1 is the better piano. The quality of the frame casting and the tightness of wrestpins (the things the tuner turns to get it in tune) are a significant improvement over the old C110 which were invariably pinned too tightly. The braced back construction offers a fuller tone and the hammers are generally voiced nicely. The C110 scores more points on better casework quality and finish, and the more substantial wooden music desk rather than the b1's stock Yamaha plastic effort. The b1's casework is very cheaply made and even the logo has been demoted to a waterslide decal.

Both are decent entry level pianos. The C110 and stool should be less than 1200 pounds all in to be a good buy. I'm sure you know what the discount price of the b1 is.
gt550man

Post by gt550man »

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll proably go for the B1