Danemann Grands

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Danemann Grands

Post by sirprize »

Any opinions/experience of Danemann grands anyone? I was in a shop today trying out Schimmels, Kawais, Reid-Sohns (the new NSG series is VERY good!), Ibachs and I was just leaving when I spotted a 1970 (?) 6ft 9" Danemann

I was very pleasantly surprised! It struck me this would make an EXCELLENT piano for mic-recording because it has such a bright, breezy and brassy sound (which can be reduced in the mix). Is this typical of Danemann grands? Any other thoughts.....or perhaps problems with them?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Danemann grand quality varied wildly. At best they can be very good pianos. all have a Schwander action and a good basic design, but the original string stock was poor. They are ugly pigs though, and best suited for institutional use. Find a nice example that hasn't been abused (difficult because most DID have institutional use!) and play it blindfold and you could end up loving it. Dealers can't sell 'em easily so should be cheap. If you decide to change it later you'll get peanuts for it.

I tune a couple of real belters. If it wasn't for the social and economic death of owning one I'd be tempted.
Tunatech

Danemann grands

Post by Tunatech »

Not bad for schools, but the sound is a little on the brash-metallic side. Still think the Danemann uprights(light oak big school pianos)are terrific.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

So do I.

Possibly the most underrated pianos on the planet.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Danemann grands

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Tunatech wrote:Not bad for schools, but the sound is a little on the brash-metallic side. Still think the Danemann uprights(light oak big school pianos)are terrific.
They are even better when you put Renner hammers on them
The brash-metallic side will be the hammer felt haveing got very compacted, toning will get rid of most of it but a new set of hammers may be needed

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The loss of Danemann in 1984 was the most tragic thing ever to have happened to the British piano industry. OK, so Welmar, Knight and Bentley survived a couple of decades longer, but their pianos were not as refined and well designed as Danemann's. A shame that Danemann were usually challenged in the cabinet design department, and that they put their faith in too many schools contracts.

Even more tragic that some of the above names are now stencil names on Dongbei trash. Proof positive that not all Chinese pianos are good value and that they can build pianos that are as crap as the plastic-actioned Bentleys were.
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

So what would you make of this little offering?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

leaving aside his delivery quote of £795 :shock:

At 9ft 6, that is a lot of piano.....
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

David B wrote:
At 9ft 6, that is a lot of piano.....
More like 6ft 9" if that

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

That looks like a 9-footer to me.

Could be a lot of bang for your buck. It'll have a Schwander action but those horrible Scottish strings. At least they won't sound that inharmonic being so long, but I reckon it'd be a belter with a set of Abel hammers ans Röslau strings fitted. Shame that they never invested much in the casework..... Although it could be toshed over in black polyester I suppose, but then you're turning a cheap piano into a less cheap one!
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Well, I got some rough quotes for getting this thing up to scratch, and what surprised me the most was this:

quotes 2300 quid to have it French Polished in Black
4600 quid to do it in Black polyester! :shock:

I thought that poly was the cheap and cheerful option?

Anyway the things nearing a grand now, so it won't be so cheap in the end. Especially since a Bosie sold for 12000 in the last piano auction :?
fumbler
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by fumbler »

Hi,

I don't think that the beer/tea/vomit/body fluid stains on the soundboard auger well.

Rgds.