Steinway Boston's

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

blackie
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Steinway Boston's

Post by blackie »

Hi Folks....I have read various articles on Boston piano's, but i havnt seen any comments about them on this forum, other than where they are made..
Does anyone have any experience regarding these piano's ?
Designed by Steinway....manufactured by Kawai...does this gurantee quality ?
Do they have good resale values..( never seen a secondhand one for sale )
Any information about them would be gratefully appreciated...
Thanks...Blackie...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have a few on my round all the clients are very happy with them and tend to keep them. They never say they have a Boston they tell you that they have a Steinway Boston.

As to quality it is there but so it should be for the price you are paying. If you are not into names and are going to keep it then why not look at the same size Kawai see if you like it - but when your friends call which sound better I have a Steinway Boston with that superior tone in your voice or I have a Kawai.

They tune up nice but they are over hipped

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I have a client who bought a Boston grand for 11 grand, hated it, and was offered 3 grand trade-in 3 years later. I hated it too...the uprights are a bit better. But not enough to warrant the price, in my opinion...
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and an ex-S&S bod of my acquaintance, when I read out your question, just laughed and said 'Don't!'. He also added some more opinions which Barrie won't let me put down... :wink:
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Have a look at the Kawai RX-1G 164cm, or the RX-2G 178cm. They have the carbon actions which are not in the Boston pianos! If your not into names, try the Samick NSG 158 or NSG 175, cheaper but with very high build quality using CNC build process.
Some traders offer silly money for pianos because sometimes people say "OK". And the dealers start rubbing their hands :twisted:
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

They're indeed nothing special, but not bad performers and as well made as a Kawai or Yamaha. The design of the uprights owes more to Steinway than the grands, which apart from the Duplexing I can see no real similarity. The uprights hold value reasonably, but the grands drop like bricks.

The main selling point is that S&S will credit you the sales price against an upgrade to a real Steinway, although I'd be surprised if they wouldn't do the same with most makes of piano if it means a new sale. If that's your intention then it's not a bad option, but I'd wager that any chance of a discount from the S&S list price goes aus dem Fenster if you trade in your Boston!