Old Bechstein versus Old Broadwood ... no contest!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Byrolinda
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Old Bechstein versus Old Broadwood ... no contest!

Post by Byrolinda »

Having recently acquired an straight strung 6'3" Broadwood of 1896 - smart Georgian style mahogany case but with corresponding 18th century single action,I was expecting to be made dissatisfied with it when I played an overstrung and restrung Bechstein of similar age and size in a concert in our local church last night. I would also point out that the church piano is maintained at considerable expense by a well known local company of good reputation and at not inconsiderable cost.

How wrong my expectations were! Admittedly the Bechstein had a much bigger bass (it that's what you're looking for) but the action was DREADFUL! I'm rather a nervous performer anyway, and it completely put me off my stride... can't quite describe the sensation - as if something with a life of its own were lurking under the keyboard and trying to get out!

If that's roller action, give me a jack anyday. I have to say that for the first few days I was worried that I may have made a mistake with the Broadwood as some notes weren't restriking clearly, but I've found that it was simply a matter of lazy fingerwork. If you pick your fingers up it's very reliable. I can also achieve amazingly quiet pianissimo and far more rapid execution that I've ever managed with a more sophisticated (and heavier)action.

Maybe I'm just lucky with mine, but I'm finding it hard to see why Broadwoods have such a bad reputation... you can scarcely give them away at the moment. I wouldn't swap it for a lumpy, bulbous - legged German! An action that was good enough for Chopin and Liszt is certainly good enough for me. COMMENTS PLEASE!
Byrolinda
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Apology

Post by Byrolinda »

Please do not interpret my comment about germans as refering to people. I refer solely to pianos with the intention of challenging the dominant attitude and of stimulating discussion. I apologise unreservedly for any offense caused.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Beats me too.

I think both are revolting. More Bechsteins exist with cracked frames than intact ones, or so it seems to me at the moment, and the Broadwood should be in a museum.

Nice that somebody likes them though.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You'd be amazed how many tuners hate Bechstein grands...I could name four straight away!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:You'd be amazed how many tuners hate Bechstein grands...I could name four straight away!
Would that be the drag or the falseness……… :twisted: The Broadwood barless Grand can be a pain for drag and falseness both have Agraphs all the way up. However, Modal A Bechstein if rescaled and you stitch the frame, they have a quite clear top treble not as pure as a Yamaha but much improved. But none of them hold a candle to the 1920 Ibach grand you can turn your leaver and have a cup of tea before anything happens there is that much drag

I have reconditioned a lot of Broadwoods over the years and only a few imprested me – one did make me stand back and say wow when I finished it. Now that was a 6’6 Wall climber which tuned up to pitch and the new base was amassing, the action was so light and responsive. But doing all them velum hinges god was it boring never seen it again as the client of the client lived over seas some were in Africa.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I rather like barless Broadwoods, but agree about that horrible Ibach.

Try a pitch raise on one. You'll be there all day.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoGuy wrote:I rather like barless Broadwoods, but agree about that horrible Ibach.

Try a pitch raise on one. You'll be there all day.
I have found when pitching the Ibach is let the drag work for you I just tuned them just flat of were I want them and on the second pass they are just abut where you want them to be - but I know what you mean the first time I pitched one of them Ibachs I pulled it sharp on the first pass it shot way passed the mark it took 4 times round to get it in tune

The barless are not bad when they have been restrung but I have one on my round, the string jump in the agraphs 5 pings up and 2 pings down

Barrie,

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page