1950's Upright Pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

avellaina

1950's Upright Pianos

Post by avellaina »

Could anyone please give me some info ,on the best uprights that have been manufactured in this era?
The Best Things In Life Are Not Things
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

British pianos?

Not many, but Welmar, Knight and Danemann had a few good efforts.

We were recovering from WW2 remember, so you're looking at arguably the worst era of pianomaking in Europe owing to lack of materials and cash to buy them. Probably Bill Kibby or Gill the Piano could answer you better.
avellaina

Post by avellaina »

Many thanks for your response :) I initially asked for the info as my home was built in 1956 ,and I'd tried to imagine that if I were to place a piano in it to "suit" the age of the property (as it were), what would it be? Of course, with limited knowledge of pianos, began to search the net & failed to find much information. So, decided best port of call would be these forums. At first my thoughts had simply been just out of interest,to build a mental picture of how a certain piano would look in my home. But now I'm becoming very keen to learn much more about pianos on the whole. So, three cheers to this forum!And ,so glad to have found it :D btw, sorry not to have expressed whether information required was re: British pianos/or not. It dosen't matter where from,was intending to find out what to look for,then search for images.
The Best Things In Life Are Not Things
Ben Wimpenny
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Ben Wimpenny »

And the best British pianos in the 1960's? (question for Piano Guy)
Ben Wimpenny
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Pretty much the same brands!