keys move when I depress left pedal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

suemw114

keys move when I depress left pedal

Post by suemw114 »

I have just purchased an upright Zimmerman and notice that on depressing the left pedal, some of the keys move. What's happening?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

You're moving the hammers closer to the strings, so removing some of the weight from the action, so this can sometimes happen. Have a tech check see if the tapes aren't too tight, or that the pedal isn't moving the hammer rest too much.

I'm guessing an older Zimmermann?
suemw114

Post by suemw114 »

Many thanks for replying so quickly..From the serial no., I understand it was manufactured 1986-88.
I've booked in a tuning and thanks to you, the problem doesn't sound too serious. It definitely needs tuning, but still sounds great to me. I've been learning on an old Victorian 'Munt Brothers' for 3 years now and wow, what a difference in sound.
Rick Patten
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Rick Patten »

I must confirm the reply that indicated that the tapes (we call them bridle straps in the USA) are probably to tight. The hammer rest rail moves clser to the strings with the pedal and the tapes must be set loose enouph to allow the rail to move to the point between 1/3 to 1/2 the hammer blow distance.