Steinway K132; Bluthner model B or Beschtein Concert 8 ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Steinway K132; Bluthner model B or Beschtein Concert 8 ?

Post by yamaha2006 »

Hi,

I want to upgrade from a yamaha upright and I have not enough place (and money) for a grand.

I would like some comments between these three great pianos (same size) ?
Just assume that they are at the same price, what would you like to choose and why?

Thanks.
jpb

Post by jpb »

I'm afraid I've found the Steinway uprights disappointing whenever I've tried them. I've only ever tried 2 of the Bechstein Concert 8's - and both just blew me away for an unpright. I can't comment on the Bluthner, though, sorry.

I would measure very carefully before deciding on an upright...it is amazing where a grand can go. I thought I might have to get rid of my Kawai ZX2 and looked around at the top of the range uprights...but I would have been very sad to have had to have traded it in...for me the control of the grand action (and therefore also being able to transfer well onto other painos) is just too much to loose. Measure very carefull...The price of a mid-range grand is equivalent to a top range upright!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Bluthner
Bösendorfer 130
Bechstein

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by yamaha2006 »

Thanks,

But it's amazing to see that blutner is so good...
why Bösendorfer is above Bechstein, I thought the sound of Bösendorfer was not enough clear?

Any comment on Hamburg Model V125?

Thanks,
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Its all down to personal preference

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by yamaha2006 »

However,

Construction type is quite important since one does not buy a piano just for a few years but for 30,40 years even the entire life….
Thus a well-manufactured piano appears to last longer than other ones…Who can say that a Fazioli will last more than 100 years?? We cannot know that yet !
But we do know that a Bösendorfer, Bechstein or Steinway can last for more than 100 years and that’s why they are great !

Besides the sound of a good Yamaha (SU series) might be the same as a Bechstein or Bluthner (to be checked) for the first 5 years but what about after 5 years?

I do believe that Great piano brands (and that’s why they are expensive) can last a very long time keeping the same sound ( or almost equal) and same action ( if well-tuned and voiced properly), am I right?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I don't think you have much to worry about concerning Yamaha longevity. I'd stick with the brand and get an SU7. The Hamburg Steinway V is a fine piano, and better value than the larger K.

I would agree with Barrie in his Bosendorfer 130 and Blüthner choice. I actually prefer the model A Blüthner to the bigger model B. You could also try Haessler, the Blüthner 'mid-range' brand which isn't far behind. I think that anything less would be only a small step up from your Yamaha (although you don't specify which model. I'm guessing U1, right?). You could always check out Bechstein's reasonably priced Zimmermanns which are nice enough, but still trying to shake off their Commie image.

I'm not particularly a Bechstein fan simply because they're expensive for what you get compared to their 'budget' Zimmermann, and Steingraeber, Seiler and Sauter are relatively unknown (except in 'piano circles'), overpriced, have nothing especially wonderful to offer except the illusion of a quality German image and depreciate faster than a plummeting brick.

My top 3 faves:

Bos. 130
Yam SU7
Blüthner A

Top 3 at keeping their value:

Bos. 130
Yam SU7 (if bought sensibly, but not stupidly cheap)
Steinway V

Top 3 for losing your hard earned cash:

Steingraeber (who!??)
Sauter (why bother)
Seiler (eh?)

PG
yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by yamaha2006 »

Thanks,

Just some questions:
what are the qualities of a SU7? I know that the price is 19 900 euros ...

the steinway V is 24 000 euros and K is 28 500 euros...
Why do you thiink the model K is below the V?

I have never tried the bosie and cost about 25 000 euros...(very rare in France)

Bluthner I didn't ask to try it since at that time i did not know this brand ...But i have to play on it just to be sure...

I own an old yamaha ..Oh no not a U1 unfortunately..I have the basic model, but is exceptionnal for this type of piano...
yamaha2006
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by yamaha2006 »

Then the V125 seems to be a fair value !