Broadwood Action Regulation

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Byrolinda
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Broadwood Action Regulation

Post by Byrolinda »

Hi. I'm considering buying a Broadwood 6ft straight strung grand of c 1898. Beautiful looking piece with a gentle but pleasing sound (I prefer the rather old-fashioned clarity of tone to the volume of most overstrung grands). Of course it has the old Broadwood action which functions pretty well at the moment, but would obviously benefit from some work to bring it up to peak performance. Whilst I have found very good information for the regulation of repetition actions, I cannot find anything for the Broadwood type. Can anyone advise? And how good can it be if properly set up? Presumably at least as good as a high quality upright? Also is restringing likely to have a significant effect on tone in the mid register? Top is lovely with bell - like clarity and bass good without being overpowering, but middle slightly dull.

Any advice much appreciated

Rowan
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You have to wing it on an old Broadwood its all down to how good you can get the touch to go and that all depend on how bad the action is - the hammers remain on the rest set off is about 4mm depth of touch is 10mm checking around 15mm re-burnishing the jack helps a lot and Teflon power on the knuckles they can be a quite responsive action

As to restringing the bass will improve as to the midrange unlikely also it is probably a threaded tuning pin system which involves more work

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Byrolinda
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Broadwood action

Post by Byrolinda »

Thanks for info. So you think that claims I have seen on some restorers websites about and 80% improvement in overall tone following restringing is exaggerated? I understand that 1890 - 1910 is the best period for Broadwood and that some very fine instruments were made then. I'm also aware that most people think they're better used as firewood. This one seems really good to me ... is there anything in particular that I should beware of?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Broadwood action

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Byrolinda wrote:Thanks for info. So you think that claims I have seen on some restorers websites about and 80% improvement in overall tone following restringing is exaggerated? I understand that 1890 - 1910 is the best period for Broadwood and that some very fine instruments were made then. I'm also aware that most people think they're better used as firewood. This one seems really good to me ... is there anything in particular that I should beware of?
80% is a bit over the top the bass is improved quite a lot in most cases the treble can be rescaled, that can get rid of a lot of falseness However, your are moving away from the makers intension

On the other hand new string combined with other work on some pianos would improve the tone However, you still have the problem with a lot of pianos c1900 the soundboard in many cases they are just plane tired in your case as I pointed out you may have a threaded pin system which brings its own problems. On your piano I would look at the hammers first as the midrange may be misshaped and worn producing a dull tone

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page